5 Mouth-Watering & easy to cook Calcium Rich Recipes for your child
Bsc. Food and Nutrition, PG in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics with specialization in Pediatric Nutrition.
- Posted On October 28, 2017
Calcium is an important nutrient and is essential in every child’s diet from a toddler to an adolescent as it forms the base for building strong bones, teeth, muscular contraction and relaxation, secreting adequate hormones and enzymes and to send signals via nerves to the central nervous system.
In spite of its important role in the body we often tend to neglect or find it difficult to include calcium rich sources in our child’s diet.As a paediatric nutritionist this is the most common problem parents face and so listed below are 5 easy ways to include calcium in your everyday routine with ease.
- Steamed Idli with a twist
-1 ½ cups- Rice
-¾ cup- Udad dal
- 1 ½ cups- Ragi flour
-Water as needed
-Oil for greasing
- Firstly, wash and Soak rice and dal separately, Soak them in water separately for 4 to 6 hours.
- Once they are soaked, grind them separately by adding little water at a time to a smooth paste. Transfer them to a large container.
- Now add in ragi flour and salt. Mix well. Cover and let it ferment overnight. The next morning, the batter will rise and will be ready to use.
- To prepare idlis, grease idli moulds with adequate oil and pour ladleful of batter into each mould and place it in a steamer. Steam it for 15-20 mins till the idli’s are properly steamed. Insert a skewer to check.
- Remove the idli moulds and allow them to cool for 5 mins . Then scoop the idli’s out from the moulds and serve hot with sambhar and chutney.
- Paneer Paratha with the goodness of Amaranth
-1 cup rajgira flour
-1/4 cup boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch)
-Rock salt to taste
-Rajgira flour for rolling
- Oil – 1tbsp
To Be Mixed Into A Stuffing
-1 cup freshly grated paneer/cottage cheese
-2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
-1/2 tsp lemon juice
-2 tsp finely chopped corriander
-Rock salt to taste
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl and divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the rajgira flour, potatoes, pepper powder and rock salt in a bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough and knead into a thick chapati using a little rajgira flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the circle, bring the edges in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a paratha, using a little rajgira flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, using oil/ghee, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve hot with green chutney and raita.
- Cheesy Soya Cutlets
-2 cups soya bean, soaked in warm water for half hour
-2 medium sized potatoes, boiled
-1 cheese cube
-2 green chillies, finely chopped
-A big piece of ginger (adrak), grated
-1/4 tsp chilli powder
-1/4 tsp garam masala powder
-A handful of mixed coriander leaves and mint leaves
-Salt to taste
-Oil to shallow fry the cutlets
- Firstly, drain out the water completely from soya beans.
- Mash the potatoes with a masher and add to the soya beans along with other ingredients except the bread crumbs and oil.
- Mix well and shape into round cutlets.
- Put two table spoons oil in a non-stick fry pan and dip each cutlet in bread crumbs and shallow fry on the sides till golden in colour.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
- Granola Parfait
-8 tbsp flavoured yogurt
-8 tbsp of sugar free granola of your choice
-5 to 6 tbsp chopped fresh fruits [apple,banana ,pear,strawberry,kiwi,chickoo,]
-chopped nuts and flax seeds, to sprinkle on top
- In 2 glasses add alternate layers of flavoured yogurt, granola, and fruits. Finish with sprinkling chopped nuts and flax seeds on top.
- Set in the refrigerate for 1 hour and enjoy the yogurt parfait.
- Sweet Sesame Balls
- 1 1/4 cups sesame seeds (til)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 1/4 cups roughly chopped jaggery
- 1/4 cup roasted and crushed peanuts
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- Heat a broad non-stick pan; add the sesame seeds and dry roast on a slow flame for 8 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the jaggery, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sesame seeds, peanuts and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased plate and allow it cool slightly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Wet your palms with little water, take a small portion of the mixture and shape into a round.
- Allow it to cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
Try these finger licking recipes and your child will go stronger and fitter with the natural dose of calcium from foods.
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225