3 Nutritious Iron rich recipes for children
Bsc. Food and Nutrition, PG in Clinical Dietetics and specialised Pediatric Nutrition.
- Posted On October 28, 2017
Iron is the major constituent of hemoglobin in the body and food intake rich in iron keeps you away from Iron deficient anemia.
Read up on FitterFly iron rich recipes given by our child nutritionists and rejuvenate your body iron stores.
- Mix cress Chikki: A touch of tradiitonal use of oilseeds can be nutritious too. Grab some of these handy and easily available oilseeds from your kitchen and make your regular chikki extremely rich in IRON!!!!
Serves: 4 pieces
- Til (Sesame seeds): 2 teaspoons
- Halim seeds (Garden cress seeds): 2 teaspoons
- Jaggery: 1 tablespoon
- Ghee: 1 teaspoon
- Heat a non-stick pan, add til seeds and halim seeds, dry roast on a medium flame for 5-10minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat ghee and add roasted seeds to it. To it add jaggery, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes. Also stir continuously.
- When the mixture is ready, put the entire mixture over the back of a greased thali or a smooth stone surface. Roll it out into thin sheets on a thali with the help of a rolling pin.
- Cut them to wonderful shapes that your child loves and present it as a midmorning meal snack or his school tiffin.
- Cooled cut pieces can also be stored in air tight containers.
Nutritive Value per serving:
Energy: 190Kcal Carbohydrate: 3.36g
Protein: 4.53g Total fat: 2.37g
- Amaranth Dosa: Flavors of South India in your kitchen with amazing calcium, protein and iron rich ingredients like rajgira is the key to healthy cooking in todays recipe making at Fitterfly!!!!
Serves: 4 dosas
- Amaranth (Rajgira) Flour: 2 Tablespoons (30g)
- Semolina: 2 teaspoons
- Rice flour: 2 teaspoons
- Curd: 1 cup (60g)
- Til seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Chopped onion: ½ cup
- Tomatoes: ½ cup
- Green chillies: 2-3 no.
- Coriander leaves: as per taste
- Salt: as per taste
- Oil: 2 teaspoons
- Mix amaranth, rice and semolina flour in a bowl. To it add curd and approximately one cup of water to mix the batter. Adjust water to make smooth batter.
- Add sautéed onions, tomatoes, til seeds and green chilli. Add green chilies and salt as per tatse.
- Heat the pan, add batter as per size of dosa required. Add a dash of oil for greasing and cook on a low flame. Flip the dosa when brown on one side for slight cooking on the other side.
- Serve warm with south special malgapodi chutney or coconut chutney for best taste.
Nutritive Value per 100g:
Energy: 300Kcal Carbohydrates: 37.5g
Protein: 8.5g Total fat: 13g
3. Rajma Shepu Dal: A dash of flavorsome and iron rich dill leaves in your regular dal with zesty Indian spices will make your child lick, the most ignored element of meals, till its last sip.
Serves: 1 bowl
- Rajmah, black- 1 Tablespoon
- Chopped Shepu(Dill leaves)- 2 teaspoon
- Chopped onion- 2 teaspoon
- Chopped spinach leaves - 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes, ripe- 1 teaspoon
- Cooking oil- 1 teaspoon
- Ginger, fresh- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cloves-1/2 teaspoon
- Chillies red dry-1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida- 1 pinch
- salt- 1 pinch
- Pressure cook rajma or kidney beans and keep aside.
- Thoroughly wash shepu and spinach leave and chop them. Saute them with chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, garam masalas as mentioned above and green chillies in oil.
- Add the prepared tadka to cooked rajma. Add slight water for proper mixing and cooking.
- Add salt as per taste in to the cooked dal and serve hot with garnished dill leaves.
Nutrition value per serving:
Energy: 120Kcal Carbohydrate: 11.5g
Protein: 4.5g Total fat: 5.8g
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?? ADD SOME SIMPLE INGREDIENTS AND TURN YOUR DISH AN IRON POWER PACKED RECIPE FORNYOUR CHILD , JUST AT FITTERFLY..........
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225