Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the day
Dr. Vandana Jain
Ophthalmologist & Healthcare Entrepreneur MBBS, MD, MBA (Stanford, USA)
- Posted On March 20, 2017
Breakfast – meaning “Breaking the Fast”. After twelve hours of overnight fast, the first and the most important meal of the day is our breakfast. Grandmothers often emphasized on consuming a heavy breakfast before the start of our day, but do we really follow it? Our traditional Indian cuisine consists of a variety of nutrient dense breakfast recipes; however, in the recent urban life we are always in a rush to catch with our work or in a hurry to send children to school and in due course often tend to skip breakfast.
“Eat your breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper,” Modern Indian families follow just the reverse of this famous saying. We generally tend to skip breakfast, gorge on a quick lunch and binge on a wholesome dinner. Eating a wholesome breakfast is just like fuelling your car, before the raceday begins. Our expert Pediatric Nutritionists at FitterFly send an eye opener about the benefits of a healthy breakfast for children:
- Breakfast provides the glucose that is the primary energy source for the body and the brain. Especially for growing children a breakfast packed with nutrition ensures better cognition and concentration in school than those who skip breakfast. Research has proved that breakfast skippers often feel tired, restless, or irritable in the morning than those who consume breakfast regularly.
- Children perform better physically and in sports after eating breakfast as there is more energy available to their muscles.
- Breakfast also provides adequate nutrient intake which helps the growth and development demands of children and adolescents.
- A well-balanced breakfast ensures that 1/3rd of the day’s nutritional requirement is met and makes it easy to meet the rest of the day’s requirement.
- Eating breakfast may also help in preventing disorders like obesity, diabetes and other metabolic disorders because it reduces hunger and prevents eating binges. Studies have shown that people who eat a daily breakfast are “far less likely to become obese, compared to those who skip the first meal of the day”
Consuming a breakfast has a lot of health benefits and if we start educating and teaching our children about healthy breakfast habits it will not only make them disease free but also fitter adults in the long run.
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. Our qualified Nutritionists at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your child’s age, health condition, cuisine and personal preferences. To know more download and use ‘Fitterfly’ app from play store or app store or write to us at email@example.com or just call us at +917045065225