Go Nuts With Groundnuts
BSc in Food Nutrition and Dietetic, PG Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetic specialized in Pediatric Nutrition. Certified Diabetic Educator
- Posted On February 20, 2018
Groundnuts or peanuts belong to legume group which grow under the ground. Groundnuts are nutritionally rich and have important role to play in growing children. Here's a quick run-down on all the goodness that Mother Nature packs into every single one of groundnut.
- Energy dense: Groundnuts are rich in energy. 100 grams of groundnuts have 570 kcals. For growing kids, they play important role as small quantity provides them with more energy. Also they can be added to various recipes or made in form of ladoo and chikkis and given to kids.
- Protein pack food: Protein is vital for the growth, maintenance and repair of your body's tissues, and is one of the essential building blocks of all life. They are excellent source of amino acids. 100 grams of groundnuts have 26 grams of protein. Groundnuts beat most snack foods when it comes to protein content. In fact, they have such a high protein.
- Fats: Along with protein, groundnuts are rich in fats too. 100 grams have 39 grams of fat. However, fats from them are combination of good and bad fats.
- Healthy Fats: Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated Fat: The fat in groundnuts is healthy heart monounsaturated fat, the kind found in olive oil and avocados and 30% is polyunsaturated fat; another good fat important in a healthy diet. A study proved that fats from groundnut reduced cholesterol by 11% and bad LDL cholesterol by 14%, while their good HDL cholesterol was maintained.
- Unhealthy fats: Saturated fats: Saturated fat is found most often in animal products, whereas trans fat comes from the processing of partially hydrogenated oils. Groundnuts, when processed to produce peanut butter or oil, trans fats are used as stabilizers. Hence, groundnuts, in limited quantities are healthy to consume for kids to keep their heart healthy. Though the fat contents are high, they help in weight management due to natural hunger suppressants and high protein snack.
- Dietary Fibers: Dietary fiber is essential to the smooth functioning of your body's waste elimination process. Groundnuts have good dietary fiber content so they are very good for digestion and bowels movements in kids.
- Groundnuts also contain various vitamin and minerals which helps in bone strengthening, brain functioning, etc. They include 13 different vitamins (including A, the B group, C and E) along with 26 essential trace minerals, including calcium, zinc and iron.
- Sadly, some children (not many) can have allergic reactions to groundnuts. However, recent studies states that early exposure can avoid allergies, but should be given in supervision so that kids chew the nut properly.
- Groundnuts have a very low salt content - usually only 1.4 mg per 25 gm serve. So if salt (sodium) is a concern in child’s diet, they are safe to consume.
- It is recommended that growing children, consume roasted groundnuts with jaggery. It is said to provide resistance and immunity against dangerous infections like hepatitis and tuberculosis.
- Groundnuts may be eaten raw, boiled, roasted or steamed.
However excessive consumption of groundnuts causes acidity, indigestion and heartburn. To ensure proper digestion, groundnut needs to be thoroughly masticated and well chewed to a fine paste.
Latest research shows that peanut allergy, one of the most dreadful allergies has increased its incidence two fold in the last decade among children who have been exposed to this nut at the weaning stage.
These nuts can be very healthy only if consumed in limit, and that’s the part that often trips up groundnut lovers. The problem is that the portions need to be low so kids don’t over consume the calories — that’s where parents and kids has a disconnection. The problem is volume. It’s very hard to have a small serving of groundnuts, meaning a small handful.
So get nutty within limits….
FitterFly is a first of its kind, child centric- fitness and nutrition venture that provides integrated tech enabled personalised services for children and their families across India. At the heart of our philosophy lies, one simple principle – Every Child should be in the best of its Health and be 360 degrees Fit.
FitterFly has been initiated by doctors with more than 40 years of healthcare experience, child nutritionists, child fitness trainers and senior technology people. At FitterFly, we make sure that your child remains in the best of his health and spirit. At FitterFly, we offer customised nutrition/ diet advice and plans for children.
Fitterfly is a wellness company run by doctors, nutritionists and wellness experts with an aim to empower people with knowledge and tools for good health. We use personalized technology for everyday wellness. Our qualified Coaches at Fitterfly provide detailed customized guidance according to your age, health condition, and personal preferences. To know more, download and use ‘Fitterfly Wellness’ app from play store or app store or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or just call us at +917045065225